I just read Nancy Stordahl’s latest post titled 15 Random Facts & A Blogging Challenge Too!, where she shared 15 facts about herself. And I thought, what a great idea, so that’s what my post this week is about.
And, as Nancy has done, I’m putting a challenge out there for others in the blogosphere to blog on 15 (or less or more) facts about yourselves.
Here are 15 random facts to know about me:
1. I’m from the Bronx, NY, home of the New York Yankees. I am now living in the Midwest, but I miss my family who have remained in New York. I visit when I can. I also miss NY food, particularly pizza and bagels.
2. From the age of 12 to 18, I wanted to be a veterinarian. I’ve always been crazy-in-love with animals. In fact, I used to rescue cats from trees on my way to and from school. During my high school years, I volunteered at an animal hospital. Nothing says humility like working in a kennel or passing out when watching surgery. I’ve done both.
3. My favorite field trip took place when I was in high school. Our biology class went to Sloan-Kettering to learn about cancer cells (ironic, huh?). I did get to work an electron microscope, which was beyond cool and a memory I will always treasure.
4. I went to Michigan State University because of its veterinary program.
5. I changed my major to English.
6. I teach English literature and writing at a local university. Being a teacher is fulfilling, and I enjoy helping others.
7. I love writing. So. Much.
8. My favorite hobby is art — in particular, oil painting and drawing. These are completely relaxing activities for me. One day I’d like to go on an artist’s retreat in Italy, France, and/or Ireland.
9. I’m more than halfway done reading War and Peace. I’ve since lost track of
many a few characters and it’s taking me forever to get through, but I’m determined to finish it.
10. My daughter has gotten me hooked — literally and figuratively — on the Rainbow Loom, where you make jewelry out of rubber bands, and there’s, like, a zillion different patterns. Luckily YouTube has many instructional videos. She and I have recently mastered the fishtail pattern! This is why War and Peace is taking me so long.
11. I wear a lucky pendant I never take off. It has my daughter’s Chinese name, which literally translates to something like “highest luck.”
12. I am terrible with plants and admire those with a green thumb. My mom is a great gardener, but plants/gardens under my care don’t fare well.
13. My favorite instrument is the violin. I don’t play it, but I sure enjoy listening. I love strings in general, but the violin soothes me like no other.
14. I have a wide range of musical tastes — from classical to folk to rock — and like most people, I am loyal to my favorite artists who speak to my heart. When people critique my musical tastes, I get exceedingly annoyed and take it quite personally.
15. I began blogging for two reasons: because my efforts to have a newspaper column on patient empowerment fell through. I also wanted to write a book on this topic and felt more comfortable creating a book in small chunks. I’m trying to get the completed manuscript published. I’d also like to write more about topics other than cancer. But, for now, I still have a lot to say on this subject. And I’m proud to be a member of a wonderful blogging community of writers and readers.
Well, there you have it. The 15 random facts about me. I had fun writing this, and I hope to write more non-cancer-related posts in the future.
What are some random facts about yourself?
I would love to hear about you.
Tags: art, blog, blogging, Bronx, Michigan State, music, NY, Rainbow Loom, random facts, veterinarian, writing