In the same vein as David Letterman’s Top Ten list, I am focusing this posting on 7 common mistakes patients make when dealing with the medical system. I chose 7 instead of 10 because a) 7 is a lucky number and b) I don’t think I could think of 3 more!
7. Allowing their jackets of a variety of doctor hues — taupe, gray, brown or white or any variation thereof — to intimidate you.
6. Not asking questions.
5. Accepting doctors’ explanations that are unacceptable.
4. Allowing doctors to determine your medical fate rather than taking ownership of it.
3. Allowing a doctor to rush through your appointment.
1. Being passive in your medical care.
Beth L. Gainer is a professional writer and has published an essay on her breast cancer experience in the anthology Voices of Breast Cancer by LaChance Publishing. She teaches writing and literature at Robert Morris University in the Chicago area. She can be contacted at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.